Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Week 9: Day 3: 7 miles

My cat (adorable as he is) got a hold of my last pair of headphones and now there is a tooth puncture in the left earbud rendering it useless and the volume level is suddenly dramatically decreased. All this led to a very frustrating 3 mile run on Tuesday where I kept having to up the volume until I was afraid the next person to plug into my treadmill at the gym would go deaf.
So I bought new running headphones.
Sony.
And I tried them out today.
They are A W F U L. I wasn't a quarter mile into my run when they fell off for the first time, and then after a frustrating 3 full minutes of trying to find a good fit they fell out again as soon as I broke a sweat. Not a mile into my run, I ripped them out in disgust and ran the rest of the way sans my running playlist. Grrrr.

Sony, I am disappointed. I am returning your "one size fits all" earphones tomorrow and buying the Nike ones. You should be ashamed.


Aside from all that, I was pretty happy with the run. I made it down to Airdale and then headed back through Ardmore, there were so many people out running tonight! I passed at least 4 people on my side of Montgomery, and it was fun...like a sense of camaraderie. I am sure that it helped with the whole no-music thing too. Making sure I was smiling when I passed other runners (lest they think I am not enjoying it, I am! Really!) helped keep me remembering that I really do enjoy running. I started to notice each breath, and the pain in my lungs just reminding me that I was here. now. this moment. Sometimes I get overwhelmed at the goal ahead of me and I forget what got me started in the first place.

I started thinking (around mile 3, I think) that I want to do the fund raising thing to help the East Coast Assistance Dogs association that helped my sister find a an assistance dog, and ultimately the freedom to live life a little more on her own terms. I've always thought that gift of independence was a invaluable to Heather, and I think that even though what they did for her was a first; I want it to be the beginning of something bigger.

2 comments:

Josh said...

It's weird, because I don't run with music. I think I would change my pace based on the song and I have enough trouble keeping my pace as it is. Also, without the distraction of music I find myself getting lost in my own thoughts, which ultimately leads to that point of Zen that is so nice.

H. said...

yeah...I'm going to need you to go ahead an update your blog with new running progress....