Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week 12: Day 4: 6 miles

New Shoes.
Normally very exciting, and in fact I was doubly excited because these particular new shoes were not only a new brand but a new color! Yellow! I could hardly wait to get home and run.

It all started out so well...until about mile 1. That's when I realized that my right shoe was too loose, and decided to tighten the laces. Mile 1.3, and I felt like there was a wooden board in my shoe that was slamming into the bottom of my ankle with every step. I deal with this pain (why!?) until mile 2.5 when I finally loosen the shoe again only to run about 1/2 a mile before I have to sit down, take off my shoe and re-tie it. As I took off (now on my way back) all was good for a hot minute before the wooden board was back, this time coupled with an uncomfortable feeling in my lower intestine.

Awesome.

I'm 3 miles from home, limping, angry at Brooks for making torture-shoes, and now I'm trying to weigh the pros & cons of a public restroom.

By the time I got home, my right achilles was tender to the touch and walking was painful. I ripped off the shoes, shoved them back into the box they came in and vowed to never own a pair of Brooks again. I marched back to the running store (Bryn Mawr Running Store - awesome staff and excellent customer service) on Friday during my lunch break and left with my tried & true Saucony Omni 7's.

I have no idea what made me think I should stray from these...I was tempted by the thought of something better, but got burned. Sticking with what works.

No comments: