Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Week 13: Day 1: 5 miles

It constantly amazes me when I get home and the thought "well, it should be an easy 5-miler" goes through my head. Since WHEN have I thought that 5 miles was "easy"!?

That's what training will do to you: when you know that you have runs coming up that will be 3 or 4 times that distance, suddenly 5 seems like chump change.

Last night was a Great Run. I did the whole loop and made it home just as it was starting to get too-dark. No music, not even an audio book (too lazy/hurried to download one before I left) and just the cars, and the sound of my own labored breath. I am excited by the fact that my theory of the first 2 miles being the hardest is holding true. It seems that if I can get past 20 minutes, I can go forever. It becomes a game of "I can make it to the next light, it's only a couple blocks..." and before I know it I can be 5 miles out from home. Of course, this time I was happy to turn around, the ever quickly fading days are a deterrent to my after-work runs.

I might need to get one of those reflecting-vests things. And a road ID. Maybe some mace...

Next is a 7 miler and then I'm in Albuquerque visiting a good friend for the rest of the week/weekend. She's promised breakfast for me when I get back my runs in the morning. Good friend :) Thank you, Janelle! Maybe I'll get you out there for my "chump change" run on Friday...it's only 5 miles...

1 comment:

Josh said...

Headlamp, blinking red light...how about a giant red LED sign that says: CAUTION DEDICATED RUNNER TRAINING FOR MARATHON!